The Falls were first seen by European eyes when David Livingstone discovered them in 1855. To view them he stood upon what is now known as Livingstone Island; a small outcrop of land at the edge of the Falls, in Livingstone, Zambia. Before exploring the area and witnessing the Falls for himself, David Livingstone had already heard tales of the mighty waterfall. Although at the time it wasn’t called Victoria Falls! Locals had named it Mosi-oa-tunya, which means ‘The Smoke That Thunders. Livingstone re-named the Falls in honour of Queen Victoria.